The first trailer for the long-awaited ANT-MAN film launched tonight, and it’s pretty exciting. Before I start to ramble on, take a look at it for yourself in case you missed it:
So, a few things:
- First and foremost, I concede this is a teaser and that the actual film itself can and probably will contain way more than this trailer reveals. That being said…
- Regardless of how any of the Marvel Studios have turned out overall, they have been nearly 100% spot-on in regards to casting. Yes, even Mickey Rourke. Paul Rudd shines each moment he’s on-screen here.
- Michael Douglas brings that “veteran actor gravitas” (which may or may not be a real phrase) as Hank Pym (the original Ant-Ma… Oh, just read this already…) but why does he look like the mailman from Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood?
- Aside from that, the trailer doesn’t really present the movie as anything different from the superhero films we’ve come to expect. In fact, it sort of reminded me of the Ryan Reynolds GREEN LANTERN film (which was entertaining enough, so shut up!). But, again, it’s a first trailer. Along those lines…
- The director of this film is Peyton Reed. Now, originally, it was being developed by Edgar Wright until… stuff happened. Reed, on the other hand, directed this really cool, really fun movie called DOWN WITH LOVE starring Ewan MacGreggor and Renee Zellwegger. It was done in the style of the 1960s rom-com “sex comedies” and it was, pardon my French, really f%^&ing good. Reed is a director who knows tone and let’s style flourish without overwhelming substance. He’s been wanting to get his hands on a property like this and I have a lot of faith in him.
So, what do you think, readers? Do we have another GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY on our hands or an IRON MAN 2?
image via YouTube